Improperly stored hot embers from wood stove started fire in She - KPTV - FOX 12

Improperly stored hot embers from wood stove started fire in Sheridan

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Sheridan Fire District Photo: Sheridan Fire District
SHERIDAN, OR (KPTV) -

Improperly stored hot embers from a wood stove caught a back patio on fire in Sheridan.

Firefighters responded to the scene on Christensen Road at 7 p.m. Thursday. Everyone in the home got out safely.

A second alarm was called out due to the potential for the fire to spread and because of the icy weather conditions.

The fire was under control by 8 p.m. and extinguished by 9 p.m. The fire did not spread to the inside of the home and damage was limited to the back patio area and the siding of the home.

Investigators determined the fire was started by improper storage of hot embers from a wood stove. 

"This is the time of year when the Fire Service sees an increase in chimney and stove related fires. It is important to keep your stoves clean and free of ashes and embers and to have your chimney cleaned once a year. When disposing of the ashes and embers from your wood or pellet stove it is important to put them in a fire proof container, away from flammable substances and to cool them down with water prior to leaving them unattended," according to a Sheridan Fire District statement.

Copyright 2016 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.