Search resumes for Eugene-area father, toddler swept into ocean - KPTV - FOX 12

Search resumes for Eugene-area father, toddler swept into ocean by wave

Posted: Updated:
(Oregon State Police) (Oregon State Police)
NORTH BEND, OR (AP) -

The Coast Guard says it has resumed a search for a father and his young son after a wave swept them to sea from an Oregon beach.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Amanda Norcross said a helicopter crew was continuing the search Monday.

The 31-year-old Eugene-area man and his 3-year-old son were walking Sunday on a beach about 2 miles north of Cape Blanco when the wave struck.

The boy's mother saw it happen and called authorities.

Crews in helicopters and search boats and state troopers in all-terrain vehicles found only the man's jacket and a child carrier he had been wearing in the surf.

State Police spokesman Capt. Bill Fugate says the area where they were swept away is steep and the ocean was rough due to an approaching storm.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.