Splattered oil starts kitchen fire causing $20K damage to St. He - KPTV - FOX 12

Splattered oil starts kitchen fire causing $20K damage to St. Helens apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Columbia River Fire & Rescue Photo: Columbia River Fire & Rescue
ST. HELENS, OR (KPTV) -

A kitchen fire that started when someone was cooking breakfast caused $20,000 damage to an apartment complex in St. Helens.

Crews from Columbia River Fire & Rescue and the Scappoose Fire District responded to the 1600 block of Old Portland Road at 10:10 a.m. Tuesday.

Smoke was seen coming from the front door of a first-floor apartment in the two-story complex.

Investigators said the fire started when a person in the apartment was making breakfast and splattered cooking oil, catching the surrounding cabinets and other items on fire.

That person went outside and grabbed the fire extinguisher on the wall next to the unit, but firefighters said it needed to be recharged.

Firefighters put out the fire and cleared the smoke from the apartment.

There were no reports of injuries.

The American Red Cross assisted four people with temporary housing due to extensive heat and smoke damage.  

Copyright 2017 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.