Fire Marshal: How to dispose of fireworks safely - KPTV - FOX 12

Fire Marshal: How to dispose of fireworks safely

Posted: Updated:
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Fireworks illuminated the sky across the Portland metro Tuesday night in honor of Independence Day. Now, local fire officials are reminding residents to clean up and dispose of their used fireworks safely.

The Oregon State Fire Marshal is offering a few tips on how to prevent used fireworks from becoming a hazard.

Fire officials said people should thoroughly soak their used fireworks in a bucket of water about 15 or 20 minutes after igniting. Soak them overnight if possible. 

Be sure to double wrap the soaked fireworks in plastic bags before putting them in a trash can – do not recycle them.

Firefighters also said the water inside the bucket used to douse the fireworks should not be dumped into any storm drain or stream.

Any unused or leftover fireworks should not be thrown away and instead be dropped off at your local police or fire stations.

Although it may seem like extra work, fire officials believe these precautions can potentially save your home.

“When you think it’s all over with and you go out there and you’re cleaning it up, and you put it in your wheelbarrow and wheel it up next to the house,” said Mike Traeger of Gresham Fire. “That wheelbarrow, that plastic is getting going, and next thing you know, the side of your house is on fire and burns your roof off.”

For more information on firework safety, visit PortlandOregon.gov.

Copyright 2017 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.