Cigarette in wicker basket starts fire in St. Helens home causin - KPTV - FOX 12

Cigarette in wicker basket starts fire in St. Helens home causing $55K in damage

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Columbia River Fire & Rescue Photo: Columbia River Fire & Rescue
Photo: Columbia River Fire & Rescue Photo: Columbia River Fire & Rescue

Investigators said a fire in a St. Helens home was started by a discarded cigarette in a wicker basket.

Columbia River Fire & Rescue responded to a home on Dubois Lane at 10:48 a.m. Tuesday.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the backside of the building. Everyone in the home got out safely.

Firefighters quickly contained the fire, but it had already spread to the attic space.

Crews cut holes in the roof for access and to clear heat and smoke.

Damage to the home was estimated to be $55,000, including the building and contents.

Working smoke detectors in the home helped alert the people inside about the fire, according to Columbia River Fire & Rescue.

The people living in the home are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Copyright 2017 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.