Four Vancouver businesses evacuated due to natural gas leak - KPTV - FOX 12

Four Vancouver businesses evacuated due to natural gas leak

Posted: Updated:

Four businesses in Vancouver had to be evacuated Friday night due to a natural gas leak.

Vancouver Fire Department says firefighters were on the scene of a car accident near the 900 block of Southeast 164th Avenue when they were approached by a citizen from a nearby restaurant who said they noticed a strong smell of natural gas.

Firefighters from Engine 9 then cleared the call they were on and responded to the restaurant. Crews noticed the smell of mercaptan, which is an additive given to natural gas to give it a detectable odor, according to Vancouver Fire Department.

A Hazardous Materials Team Leader, Engine 10, a Vancouver Fire Battalion Chief and one additional engine from Camas were called to the scene. Northwest Natural Gas and PUD were also called to the scene.

Firefighters evacuated about 30 people from the building, which housed four businesses.

Vancouver Fire Department said a flammable concentration of natural gas was found above the ceiling.

Power and gas were shut off, and the entire building was aired out. No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2017 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.