Crews respond to SE Portland house fire caused by cigarette - KPTV - FOX 12

Crews respond to SE Portland house fire caused by cigarette

Posted: Updated:
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

A fire broke out at a home in southeast Portland early Wednesday morning, displacing a family of three.

Firefighters were dispatched at 1:24 a.m. to the scene of a house fire at 9950 Southeast Harold Street.

According to Portland Fire & Rescue, the fire started outside the home in the carport area. Flames burned a side of the house and melted siding on a neighboring home. The fire was recalled about 30 minutes after crews arrived. 

The Red Cross assisted the two adults and one child who were affected by the fire. No injuries were reported. In total, $35,000 worth of damage was done by the fire, according to PF&R.  

Fire investigators determined the cause of the fire was most likely an improperly discarded cigarette. 

One tenth of home fires in Oregon are started by cigarettes and cigarettes are the top cause of home fire deaths in the state, according to the Oregon State Fire Marshal. 

PF&R has issued these tips on how to prevent home fires caused by cigarettes: 

- Put out all cigarettes, cigars, or pipes before you leave the room.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Use deep ashtrays. Don't put ashtrays on the arms of sofas or chairs.
- Keep matches and lighters locked up, away from children. Teach children to tell you if they find a lighter or matches.
- If smokers have visited, check floors and seat cushions for butts and ashes that may have dropped.

Copyright 2017 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.