Duncan the two-legged Boxer found safe after car crash in Idaho - KPTV - FOX 12

Duncan the two-legged Boxer found safe after car crash in Idaho

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: Gary Walters) (Photo: Gary Walters)

Duncan the two-legged dog beloved by millions of people on YouTube, has beaten the odds once again.

During a recent trip to Yellowstone, a family that runs a local animal rescue, Panda Paws, found that one of their own dogs needed help.

"We joke that Duncan is so tough and he has such a will to live that if we didn't find him, there would be this urban legend of a dog leading a pack of wolves in Island Park, Idaho," said Gary Walters.

Walters says his Boxer Duncan is a dog with spirit.

Duncan was born with a deformity that fused his back legs, but after a crash that threw the dog from the family car, they say he's tough as nails.

"There were power lines down and transformers exploding. it was pretty sketchy but we started looking for the dogs anyway," Walters said.

Walters, his partner Amanda, their two children and their three rescue dogs were passing through Island Park, Idaho when they crashed into a buffalo. The crash sent the car flying -- ejecting the Boxer.

"We were frantic. You know, Duncan is a tough dog but he's only got two legs and he's relatively fragile. He doesn't have the body design to survive being ejected like that," said Walters.

In shock, the family realized they needed to find Duncan.

"There were a lot of people that were on their own vacations, put their vacations on hold to help us and spend the time to look for Duncan," said Walters. "Not only was I impress with how many people came to help look for him but how many people stuck it out. It was heart-breaking and hard going."

The search for Duncan went on for almost 16 hours. That's when, Walters says, a tip came in from someone talking about a two-legged dog on the loose.

"We were in awe. The guy that picked us up is a vet, and we just looked at each other like 'seriously, he's actually walking,'" said Walters.

Expecting the worse but hoping for the best.

"We expected him to be half dead in somebody's arms but he was trotting next to Jade on a leash like nothing happened," Walters said. "I picked him up and I don't think I put him down for 30 minutes."

The family is now on their way back to Washougal.

While none of the dogs were seriously injured, Amanda and her daughter did suffer concussions and bruised ribs.

Copyright 2017 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.