Firefighters: Ash caused blaze at Battle Ground home, $40,000 in - KPTV - FOX 12

Firefighters: Ash caused blaze at Battle Ground home, $40,000 in damages

Posted: Updated:
Photo provided by Fire District 3. Photo provided by Fire District 3.
BATTLE GROUND, WA (KPTV) -

Fire officials estimate at least $40,000 in damages after a home in Battle Ground, Washington, caught fire early Wednesday morning.

Crews arrived at the home on Northwest 12th Street just before 1:45 a.m. and found flames leaping from the roof, Fire District 3 said.

Firefighters suspect the fire was caused by ash disposal, which is a common cause of many unintentional fires, according to Fire District 3.

Crews limited most of the damage to the exterior and attic areas of the home. No injuries were reported.

The fire district asks residents to keep the following tips in mind when disposing of ash:

  • Dispose of wood ashes in a metal container that can be tightly closed. Douse with water, place the closed container outside your home and away from combustible materials and leave it in the container for several days before disposing of them.
  • Do not dispose of ashes in a paper, plastic or cardboard containers.  It doesn’t take much heat for these types of containers to burst into flames.
  • Do not assume the ashes are cold and pour them onto the ground or in containers with combustible items.

Copyright 2018 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
FOX 12
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation, Portland, OR . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.