1 hurt in 4-alarm fire at Portland care home

Published: May. 11, 2022 at 5:51 AM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PORTLAND Ore. (KPTV) - Portland Fire and Rescue responded to a four-alarm fire at a care home on Southeast Pardee Street early Wednesday morning.

PF&R got a call from the “Hope in Care” facility in Southeast Portland just after 1 a.m. that said the roof of the building was on fire.

According to reports, one employee sustained minor injuries in the fire but everyone else made it out of the building safely.

The fire damaged the building through the front door and the roof. About 40 emergency units including fire and police were at the scene overnight to get the fire under control.

Residents of the home were outside, some sitting in wheelchairs, watching their care facility engulfed in flames.

At about 1:44 a.m. the roof of the building collapsed, but did not fall on anyone. PF&R said they anticipated this collapse.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control by 2:30 a.m.

“First and foremost, I want to commend the heroism of the two on-site employees who risked their lives starting the initial evacuation of the residents under heavy fire conditions,” said Fire Chief Sara Boone. “When firefighters arrived their number priority was the immediate rescue of every resident within the facility under worsening fire conditions. Because of their tactical decisions and valiant efforts so many lives were saved and turned near tragedy into an incredible success story.”

Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann released a statement about the incident.

“This had the potential to be a mass casualty event had it not been for the heroism of the care facility employees and Portland Fire & Rescue’s Fire Fighters, who together evacuated everyone in the building and prevented a horrible tragedy,” she said. “These dangerous fires demand extra resources throughout the entire City and I’m thankful to all that stepped up to ensure the continuation of services for all Portlanders while this rescue operation was underway.”

Authorities are still investigating the cause of the fire.