I-84 along Columbia River reopens after crane truck crash, fuel spill

Published: Jun. 27, 2022 at 7:32 AM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE, Ore. (KPTV) - Interstate 84 between Troutdale and The Dalles reopened Monday afternoon after being closed for several hours in the Columbia River Gorge due to a major crash involving a construction crane.

Don Hamilton with the Oregon Department of Transportation told FOX 12 that a crane truck overturned and caught fire on the interstate at exit 40, just west of Cascade Locks.

Oregon State Police said the truck blew a tire which caused it to veer, smash into the median and roll onto its side. The driver, who only suffered a small scratch to his finger, was able to get out of the truck before it caught fire.

OSP said the impact of the truck damaged the median barrier and also caused about 200 gallons of fuel, oil and antifreeze to spill from the vehicle. The pavement was gouged in places that will need repair before the interstate can open, according to OSP.

The truck belongs to Mountain View Tree Service out of Salem. A company spokesperson told FOX 12 that they are grateful their driver wasn’t hurt, but aren’t ready to make or release a statement about the accident at this time.

Interstate 84 was closed from exit 17 in Troutdale to exit 62 in Hood River for several hours causing widespread traffic issues. Drivers had to either stay and wait or head toward Highway 26 and then to Highway 35 to go way around the closure to Troutdale. Even more drivers were stuck on the other side of the closure in Hood River.

“I was going to Pine, Idaho, and we got stuck about Fairview, so I missed the closure,” said Jan Trehard. “I sat in traffic for about an hour and a half, and finally got to the wreck, and it was pretty bad. I mean it crossed into both lanes.”

“Yeah, we did a lot of waiting, but everybody was patient, and everybody got out of their cars and visited. We did the best we could. I have three dogs, so they stayed in the car,” Trehard said.

By 3:30 p.m. all eastbound and westbound lanes of I-84 were open to traffic again.