Vancouver residents evacuate after ‘dangerously high levels of gas’ found
VANCOUVER Wash. (KPTV)- A large gas leak in East Vancouver led to about 100 residents temporarily evacuating their homes Thursday evening.
The Vancouver Fire Department made the announcement shortly after 8 p.m., saying evacuating residents who lived in the block of 45th Street and 151st Avenue. The dangerously high levels of gas were detected in several homes after a two inch gas line was hit.
According to the fire department, a resident had struck a gas line with a tool, causing the gas leak.
Five units from the fire department were on scene, including the hazardous materials team, as they assisted Northwest Natural Gas in containing the leak.
Just prior to 10 p.m., the Vancouver Fire Department announced gas had been shut off and all residents were able to return to their homes.
Copyright 2022 KPTV-KPDX. All rights reserved.