Sheriff’s office identifies victim of deadly Fairview shooting

Deputies arrested a suspect early Wednesday morning after he returned to the scene of a deadly shooting in Fairview.
Published: Sep. 27, 2022 at 9:06 PM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FAIRVIEW Ore. (KPTV) – The Multnomah County Sheriff’s office identified the victim of a shooting in Fairview that left a 67-year-old man dead Tuesday evening.

The shooting happened at a home in the 600 block of Lincoln Street, with the first deputies being dispatched just after 7 p.m. on Tuesday. The sheriff’s office said deputies arrived at the home and found 67-year-old Danny Dee Barber dead in the backyard with a gunshot wound.

A woman with mobility issues was still inside the home and needed help getting out. Deputies learned the suspect kept weapons inside the home, so SWAT was called to the scene to help with the search. The woman was located unhurt in the basement and safely escorted out of the home by SWAT members.

Deputies did not find the suspect inside the home. The Gresham Police Department searched the neighborhood by drone, but did not find him.

On Wednesday morning, deputies arrested a suspect after he returned to the scene of the shooting, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

SEE MORE: 1 person taken to hospital after house fire in Vancouver

Just after 6:30 a.m., the sheriff’s office tweeted that the suspect, identified as 41-year-old Anthony Tibbits, attempted to reenter the home where the shooting occurred and was arrested.

Tibbits will be booked into the Multnomah County Jail. The sheriff’s office said his charges will be released at a later time.

The investigation is ongoing, and no additional details have been released by the sheriff’s office at this time.

Neighbors nearby who spoke with FOX 12 said police were at the home Monday night as well but a police presence is rare.

“This is a super quiet neighborhood, never heard a gunshot here ever. That’s why I’m checking it out because it’s not normal,” said neighbor John Kiepke.