No shots fired in Cathedral Park balcony fire, police say

Portland man taken into custody, BB rifle recovered
Published: Feb. 17, 2023 at 2:41 PM PST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn


PORTLAND, Ore. (KPTV) – The Portland Police Bureau says a 63-year-old Portland man is in custody after responding to reports of shots being fired and a fire in the Cathedral Park neighborhood Friday.

Police responded around 1:30 p.m. to the Schrunk Riverview Apartments at 8832 North Syracuse Street on a Hazardous Condition call. According to officials, a resident on the 8th floor was having a mental health crisis, throwing furniture and other objects off their balcony.

After knocking on the suspect’s door, the man answered holding a rifle before closing the door again. Police then requested additional support.

At 2:10 p.m., officers reported hearing a gunshot inside the apartment before the man was seen walking onto his balcony with the rifle. Police said the man began to light things on fire. While he surrendered to police shortly before 5 p.m., the fire had grown, fully engulfing the balcony and entering the apartment.

Fire investigators served a search warrant on the apartment and recovered a BB rifle. No evidence of gunfire was found and it’s unclear what the loud banging sounds were that were heard from the apartment.

PPB said 63-year-old Brent Lusted of Portland was taken to the Multnomah County jail. He is facing the following charges:

· Arson in the First Degree (4 counts)

· Unlawful Use of a Weapon

· Menacing

SEE ALSO: Suspected southwest Washington serial killer Warren Forrest sentenced to life in prison

Police later reported because the man had barricaded himself in his apartment and was in an elevated area with a rifle, the man was a major concern to the public’s safety. Because of this, two nearby units were evacuated and North Ivanhoe Street to North Edison Street, North St. Louis Avenue to North Pittsburgh Avenue were shut down to the public.

Portland Fire and Rescue successfully extinguished the fire while others helped residents begin evacuating.

One resident was taken to the hospital for a medical issue during the evacuation, according to PPB.

Multiple units have reportedly experienced fire and water damage but the exact number has not been confirmed at this time. Unaffected residents were allowed to return home around 5:30 p.m.