MCMINNVILLE, OR (KPTV) – A three-alarm fire at the Organic Valley Creamery in McMinnville prompted evacuations on Tuesday. Fire crews are still at the scene and could be until Wednesday morning.

McMinnville Fire Department responded to the fire at the creamery located at 700 Northeast Highway 99W just before 1:30 p.m.

MMFD asked for residents within a ¼ to 1/2 a mile radius from the creamery to evacuate due to an ammonia inside the creamery. Evacuation orders have since been lifted.

3-alarm fire at Organic Valley Creamery prompts evacuations

KPTV Image

Firefighters say the ammonia that is used to cool the dairy likely burned off and didn't get into the larger tanks which was the initial concern. Given the heat, metal roofing and concrete fire officials say flames will smolder for a long time.

A fire official told FOX 12 the damage could be upwards of 40 to 50 million dollars.

Organic Valley issued a statement Tuesday afternoon saying they're grateful no one was hurt and that their main concerns are for their employees, first responders and the community.

The company said they don't know the full extent of the damage and that there will be a thorough investigation into what happened.

Copyright 2021 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Locations

Recommended for you

(1) comment

Cbrunka1

I used to work there and they had ammonia leaks all the time. Another man who worked there in HTST would always smell it and let supervisor's and maintenance know. I'm just glad everyone is safe. The employees dont deserve the negligence of upper management. I hope they just use the insurance to better there Wisconsin based part company. They were so much better there!!!

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.