A woman was taken into custody after a police standoff in Goose Hollow lasted several hours Thursday morning.

Late Wednesday night, around 11 p.m., police were called about a person entering a residence in the 800 block of Southwest King Avenue. Officers didn't locate a suspect.

A few hours later, at 3:30 a.m., police were called again to the same location when the suspect was reported as having a gun during a burglary in progress.

Officers found the suspect and exchanged gunfire. No officers were reported injured and police said the suspect went under the porch of the home.

Patrick Taylor, a nearby resident, told FOX 12 he originally thought he heard the sounds of firecrackers.

"After a couple of minutes, it sounded like there was a different gun that was used because the shots were farther apart and they were a little deeper.," Taylor said.

"There were multiple rounds," he added. "So, it was somebody shooting and somebody returning fire."

Members of SERT starting to arrive at the scene in the 800 block of SW King Ave for a suspect armed with a gun. Shots have been fired. @fox12oregon pic.twitter.com/aVbPC3hqC1— Tyler Dumont FOX 12 (@TylerDumontNews) March 8, 2018

The Portland Police Bureau Special Emergency Reaction Team and Crisis Negotiation Team were dispatched to the scene and people in the neighborhood were told to stay in their homes.

"I came outside and there was an officer there and he said that basically, there was an active standoff and that I needed to get back inside," Camille Lieurance said.

#UPDATE: @PortlandPolice asking all area residents to stay in their homes until an officer comes to tell them it’s safe to leave or they receive a reverse 911 call. Negotiations with suspect ongoing, police say. @fox12oregon pic.twitter.com/ZQD6gjZ55o— Tyler Dumont FOX 12 (@TylerDumontNews) March 8, 2018

The female suspect remained under the porch of the residence and the standoff lasted for about four hours before the woman surrendered.

Police took her into custody just before 7 a.m. She was transported from the scene in an ambulance to a hospital with a non-life-threatening injury.

#BREAKING: AIR 12 just caught the suspect being taken into custody. She appeared to be moving. #Update @fox12oregon— Tyler Dumont FOX 12 (@TylerDumontNews) March 8, 2018
#UPDATE: AIR 12 shows the suspect, now in custody, being checked out by emergency medical personnel. @fox12oregon pic.twitter.com/fih82UsLHw— Tyler Dumont FOX 12 (@TylerDumontNews) March 8, 2018

"This is really unusual, I can't believe it happened. And it's just really interesting given the current climate with everything that's going on," Lieurance said.

Police have not released the suspect's identity or the police officer involved although they have been placed on paid leave per protocol.

Police said they are still investigating the incident.

Copyright 2018 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.


Recommended for you