Waldport School Closed

(KPTV image)

WALDPORT, OR (KPTV) - A school in Waldport will be closed Wednesday amid health concerns from parents.

The Lincoln County School District posted a letter on its website about problems with the boilers at Crestview Heights Elementary School.

The school district said it started to smell like gas and diesel inside a classroom.

The fire chief gave them the all-clear, but that odor came back and the school was evacuated again.

None of the carbon monoxide monitors went off.

However, the school district said at least 14 children had parents take them to the emergency room in Newport to be tested for carbon monoxide exposure.

Some had levels that were slightly elevated, but the school district said "the hospital would not venture where the exposure came from."

FOX 12 spoke with one parent who says she had to take her 12-year-old daughter, 11-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter to the emergency room after they complained of severe headaches.

"Being stabbed with a knife in her head, that's how she said it felt like," said Karen Dedijar-Small.

From blood work, a doctor told Dedijar-Small her children were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"I asked him for a comparison for the levels and he basically compared it to, she had just gotten done smoking about eight packs of cigarettes," said Dedijar-Small.

The schools district said it will shut down its boilers for up to a month while it investigates whether they can be blamed for the exposure or the odor.

Space heaters will be used instead.

Dedijar-Small wonders if that will just create a fire hazard.

"I'm not planning on taking them back until they can prove that the school is safe," she said.

The school district said the school will be cooler than usual and is asking parents to dress their children in appropriate clothing to accommodate for lower temperatures. If kids need warmer clothing, parents can notify the principal.

Copyright 2019 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.