ALBANY, OR (KPTV) - The Albany Fire Department said that improper disposal of fireplace ashes caused a home to catch fire Wednesday night.

The house fire was reported at around 9:38 p.m. in the 500 block of 38th Avenue Southeast.

Crews arrived to the scene and had the fire under control at around 10:19 p.m.

The homeowner was able to make it safely out of the house. No injuries were reported.

Investigators said the fire started on the exterior of the home due to the improperly discarded ashes.

The fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage.

Copyright 2019 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.