Firework explodes into WA man's stomach

 

A night of St. Patrick's Day fun ended in serious injury for a Washington man when family members said a faulty firework exploded on his stomach.

James Piccolo and his friends were lighting off some fireworks from his home in Brush Prairie on Sunday night.

His sister Aimee Turner tells us that he was shooting off mortar-style fireworks that you put in a tube, but one wasn't working properly.

"One of the fireworks malfunctioned and before he could toss it, it did explode into his stomach," said Turner. "He does remember and he says, 'I thought I was going to die.'"

Piccolo was rushed to the intensive care unit.

He had surgery Monday, and will have another surgery Wednesday.

His sister says the surgeon worked in war zones in the middle east, and compared Piccolo's injuries to those of soldiers hit by IEDs.

Copyright 2014 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.