PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) – The last witness took the stand on Friday in the murder trial of Jeremy Christian, who is facing the possibility of life in prison for the deadly 2017 stabbing attacks.
The final witness, Doctor Alan Newman, is a psychiatrist who evaluated Jeremy Christian. He diagnosed Christian with anti-social personality disorder and alcohol abuse disorder. He also talked about the issue of remorse in this case.
“With this situation, he did show some remorse in respect to Mr. Best, and the fact that there were children left without a father,” Newman said. “But beyond that, he appeared to feel very strongly that he was justified, that this was the fault of the others who started a verbal confrontation and that he was justified in the actions he took, and didn’t appear to have, to this day, much remorse.”
Newman wrote a 128-page report for the case, but the defense poked holes in it, saying he took a lot of his report from the reports of other experts and from social media posts.
“If you take those quotations out, the things that were attributed, the actual language that you provided, the amount of information may easily fit on one page, and probably less,” Greg Scholl, defense attorney, said. “Isn’t that true? Possibly.”
Friday afternoon, lawyers on both sides spoke with the judge about the next steps in the trial, including instructions for the jury. They will hear closing arguments on Tuesday, and then, the case will be in their hands.
- 2/12: Neuro-psychologist testifies in Jeremy Christian trial: ‘There are some areas where he has more struggles than most’
- 2/5: Jeremy Christian laughs in court, detective details murder weapon in day 7 of murder trial
- 2/4: MAX stabbing survivor Micah Fletcher takes the stand in murder trial of Jeremy Christian
- 2/3: Officer testifies that Jeremy Christian said ‘I hope they die’ after MAX stabbings
- 1/31: ‘You a snitch?’: Witnesses detail bloody knife, Gatorade bottle on day 4 of Jeremy Christian trial
- 1/30: Day 3 of the Jeremy Christian trial: First officer to the scene recalls 'unfathomable amounts of blood' in deadly MAX stabbings
- 1/29: More witnesses take the stand as Jeremy Christian's trial enters day two
- 1/28: Surveillance from deadly MAX stabbings shown in court during first day of Jeremy Christian trial
Copyright 2020 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.