Strong winds hit the metro area Monday, knocking out power to thousands of people.

The National Weather Service issued a high wind warning for the Portland area through 4 p.m. with winds between 25 to 40 mph and peak gusts expected to reach 45 to 65 mph.

According to Portland General Electric, by 1:30 p.m. Monday, more than 30,000 customers had lost power, including 13,000 in Clackamas County and 11,000 in Multnomah County.

By 5 p.m., around 12,000 customers remained in the dark.

There were numerous reports of trees and power lines down throughout the metro area.

Clackamas Fire District #1 tweeted about a tree that had fallen on a house, but there were no reports of injuries. Forest Grove Fire tweeted about a large tree that hit a house on Sills Court. The home sustained heavy damage, but nobody was hurt.

Portland Fire & Rescue responded to West Burnside and Tichner Drive for downed power lines across the road. Burnside was closed in both directions Monday afternoon while crews made repairs.

The Oregon Zoo closed for the day due to the high winds, however it was expected to reopen at 4 p.m. for ZooLights.

Huge tree fell at 17th and Cedar in Forest Grove. Just missed two homes.— Simon Gutierrez (@sggutierrez) December 21, 2015

The Portland Bureau of Transportation advised drivers to be cautious, as the strong winds could make for a hazardous commute.

"Saturated soils from recent rain combined with unusually strong winds can damage or even uproot some trees and lead to road hazards," according to a bureau release.

Roads were temporarily closed throughout the region as crews worked to cleanup fallen trees and debris.

Highway 26 was closed about 10 miles west of Manning due to fallen trees Monday afternoon. Interstate 5 southbound had lanes blocked in southwest Washington at Milepost 20 due to a downed tree and Milepost 32 for debris. A large tree came down and blocked the road on SR-503 in Lewisville, as well.

Battle Ground - SR503/Lewisville - Roadway BLOCKED! Crews on scene!— Trooper Will Finn (@wspd5pio) December 21, 2015

Marine Drive was also closed Monday when the wind knocked over a semi (


). Tow trucks were called out to pull the truck back up to the roadway. Marine Drive was closed from 33rd Avenue to 122nd Avenue while crews were at the scene. The driver was not hurt.

High winds blow empty semi truck off Marine Drive. Driver OK #fox12— Jamie Wilson (@JWilsonreporter) December 21, 2015

The city of Vancouver reported that by 3 p.m. Monday, at least 11 traffic signals were affected by the windy weather. Drivers are advised to treat dark or flashing red signals as four-way stops.

December is already the wettest month ever recorded in Portland.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.


Recommended for you