Man killed outside Fred Meyer in Portland was trying to stop robbery
PORTLAND Ore. (KPTV) - The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) identified the victim in Monday’s deadly robbery at a northeast Portland Fred Meyer.
When police responded to reports of a robbery and shots fired, they found an adult man in the parking lot who had been shot. The man was identified on Thursday as 47-year-old Jonathan Trent, from Portland.
According to new details from PPB, Trent witnessed the robbery and tried to stop it.
“People trying to act as heroes do not need to have their lives ended in a senseless act,” said Christina, a Hazelwood resident.
RELATED:
According to PPB, his death is now being investigated as a homicide.
During a phone call with Trent’s brother, FOX 12 learned that Trent has an 11-year-old son. The brother called Trent “a good human.”
“Jon was a wonderful father and leaves behind an eleven-year-old son who misses him tremendously,” said Tina Ferrante, an aunt to Trent’s son.
A member of an aquatic club Trent was a part of created an online fundraiser to help support Trent’s family.
Anyone with information about this case, or information on the whereabouts of the suspect(s) who fled, is urged to contact Detective Brian Sims at Brian.Sims@police.portlandoregon.gov 503-823-2079 or Detective Meghan Burkeen at Meghan.Burkeen@police.portlandoregon.gov 503-823-2092 and reference case number 25-11087.
Copyright 2025 KPTV-KPDX. All rights reserved.















